Program provides state-funded tax credit to senior and disabled homeowners and renters whose property taxes exceed between 3% and 6% of their household income. For renters, property tax is calculated at 20% of annual rent. The maximum credit is $300.
For Tax Year 2016:
- Homeowner/renter must be a senior (over age 65) or disabled (receiving a social security disability benefit).
- Homeowner/renter must have been a legal resident of Rhode Island for the entire calendar year for which he/she is filing for the credit.
- Household income must have been $30,000 or less.
- Homeowner/renter must have lived in a household or rented a dwelling unit that was subject to property taxes.
- Homeowner/renter must be current on the property tax or rent due on the dwelling unit.
How to Apply
For free tax help contact a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance location near you.