Rental Assistance

Last updated: January 25, 2024

Public Housing and Section 8 Vouchers

Local public housing authorities (PHAs) own and manage developments and administer Section 8 vouchers, which allow households to rent in the private market. Residents of units in developments and voucher holders generally pay 30% of adjusted income for rent and utilities. There is a minimum rent of between $25 and $50. Waiting lists exist for both types of subsidized housing. Applicants can apply for units and vouchers in more than one community. A PHA may have a preference list for the types of households that would be a priority for a unit or voucher.

Who Qualifies?

  • Elderly (age 65 or older)
  • Persons with disabilities
  • Families who meet income guidelines

Income and Resource Limits:

There is no resource test. Income limits vary across counties and programs.

How to Apply

Contact the Public Housing Authority nearest you or contact Rhode Island HUD, (401) 277-8300.

For municipalities that do not have a public housing authority, contact Rhode Island Housing, (401) 457-1157 or 1-800-427-5560. For additional information about apartment listings and other services available to Rhode Islanders looking to find housing that meets all of their needs check out their Rental Resource Guide.

Privately-owned Subsidized Developments, another source of affordable rental units are developments financed by the federal government, but are privately-owned and managed. These include Section 8 developments, the 202 program for the elderly, the 811 program for persons with disabilities and other developments created by nonprofit housing corporations.

Some of these developments (Section 8, 202 and 811) calculate rents at 30% of adjusted gross income and are regulated by HUD in ways similar to public housing. Other developments may charge minimum rents that are affordable to low-income households and are regulated by the programs that provided the state and/or federal funding.

To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interest you. To search for subsidized apartments, go to the HUD website.

Back to all resources